1. Take care of my body:
- I schedule in at least some form of exercise each day - this may be a walking tour or a 30-minute jog on the beach.
- I have a salad for lunch, and focus on grilled lean proteins and fresh veggies and fruits at all meals. This means that when I have dessert and wine with dinner, I don't feel at all guilty.
- I bring my giant water bottle from home and keep it with me at all times.
- I laugh at every joke or funny thing I hear, even if it's really lame. This boosts my happiness enormously, and reminds me that I'm supposed to be having fun.
- I smile at everyone I meet, especially the people who are serving me. The easiest way for me to lead a grateful life is to thank others and be grateful for them.
- I read a book. I have always loved to read. Sometimes I dive into a juicy non-fiction, and sometimes I focus on self-improvement - it just depends on my state of mind.
- I make sure that I tell everyone that I am going to be out of town, and actively schedule the week before my trip so that I am not overloaded the day before I leave. This is an imperfect system for me, and one that I'm still working on!
- I check voicemail and e-mail only once or twice per week day, and only respond to urgent messages.
- I bring a pen and paper for expansive ideas and the new ideas that inevitably pop up for me when I'm in a different environment.