Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Never-Ending Quest

What I have noticed in taking better care of my body and mind is that, like a business, it is a never-ending process. You never reach "the end," and you can't just sit back and do nothing for too long.

I thought of this as I took a shower in what is possibly the most expensive hotel room that I've ever inhabited: The Ritz-Carlton at St. Thomas. Now, let me clearly say that I deeply appreciate the very fact that I'm here with my husband. I appreciate it even more because we're not paying for it - it's fully paid for by one of my clients. Here is the view from our room:Not too shabby, huh?

Unfortunately, despite many wonderful amenities, the Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas has a serious flaw. For whatever reason, there are rust stains on the marble tiles in the shower.

At a $50-per night motel, this might be expected, but at a five-star resort, it does serious damage to the brand as a whole.

This is how I think of our constant care and maintenance of our bodies, minds and brains - it can be the little things that throw them off. The missed exercise session; the time you squashed your feelings when somebody hurt them; the time you missed that deliverable for a client. All of those incidents can sometimes add up to outweigh the positives.

I am not saying that we need to be perfectionists or neat-freaks. A few dust bunnies here and there, some scuff marks on the floorboards - these are all a normal part of life. But a rust stain is more serious (Although there are much worse stains to be found, I'm sure!).

In my pursuit of work-life balance, I'm endeavoring to keep my body, mind and business clear of rust stains. It's not easy, and it's very frequently exhausting, but I think the result will be worth it.

Now I just have to motivate myself to go for that run I planned on!

No comments: